Our Advisory Board member Gillie Jenkinson, PhD, will be offering a two-day seminar for mental health providers, “Introduction to Counselling Survivors of Coercive and Radical Cultic Groups & Spiritual Abuse”, on Friday, September 28th to Saturday the 29th, at the Existential Academy in London. The two-day course will focus on understanding cults, how they exist, and their impact on an individual on a deeper level, moving on to understanding the recovery options available for survivors.
Participants will discuss a wide range of topics, including:
- What is a cult and why do definitions matter?
- Differences between First Generation Adults (joined) and Second & Multi-Generation Adults (born and/or raised)
- The cult mind-set from Gestalt Psychotherapy theory perspective
- What is thought-reform (brainwashing) – brief introduction
- What is the harm caused?
- The rationale for working with cult pseudo-personality
- Understanding cult related introjects
- What does recovery look like?
- The therapeutic relationship when working with former members and mistakes counsellors can make
- Consultancy on specific cases