Philip Zimbardo, Ph.D.
Advisory Board Member
A professor emeritus at Stanford University and creator of The Stanford Prison Experiment, Dr. Zimbardo has spent over 50 years teaching and studying psychology. Dr. Zimbardo currently lectures worldwide and is actively working to promote his non-profit The Heroic Imagination Project HeroicImagination.org. His current research looks at the psychology of heroism. He asks: “What pushes some people to become perpetrators of evil, while others act heroically on behalf of those in need?”
Prior to his heroism work, he served as President of the American Psychological Association and designed and narrated the award winning 26-part PBS series, Discovering Psychology. He has published more than 50 books and 400 professional and popular articles and chapters, among them, Shyness, The Lucifer Effect, The Time Cure, The Time Paradox, and most recently, Man, Interrupted.
- 1959 – Yale University
Ph.D. in Psychology
- 1955 – Yale University
M.A. in Psychology
- 1954 – City University of New York-Brooklyn College
B.A. with a triple major in psychology, sociology, and anthropology from Brooklyn College in 1954, where he graduated summa cum laude
- The Heroic Imagination Project
2008 – Present
- Psy.D. Consortium – Palo Alto University
2006 – Present
- PG Zimbardo Inc.
1973 – Present
2006 – 2013
Selected Publications by Philip Zimbardo:
- Gerrig, R., & Zimbardo, P. G. (2010). Psychology and life (19th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Zimbardo, P. G. (1972). The Stanford Prison Experiment a Simulation Study of the Psychology of Imprisonment. Philip G. Zimbardo, Inc.
- Zimbardo, P. G. (1977/1991). Shyness: What it is, what to do about it. Reading, MA: Perseus Press.
- Zimbardo, P. (2007). The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil. New York, NY: Random House.
- Zimbardo, P. G., & Boyd, J. N. (2008). The Time Paradox. New York: Free Press, Simon & Schuster.
- Fails, A. (n.d.). Philip Zimbardo. Found online at http://www.muskingum.edu/~psych/psycweb/history/zimbardo.htm
- Philip G. Zimbardo: Professor emeritus of psychology, Stanford University. (2004). Found online at http://www.zimbardo.com/zimbardo.html
- Zimbardo, P. G. ” A Simulation Study of the Psychology of Imprisonment Conducted at Stanford University.” The Stanford Prison Experiment. 2009
- Zimbardo, P. G. (2009). Philip Zimbardo: Professional Profile. Social Psychology Network. Found online at http://zimbardo.socialpsychology.org/